Thursday, June 6, 2013

Comparison Thursday: Purples with Holo Glitters

Tonight's Comparison Thursday is brought to you by the color purple!  The polishes for tonight's comparison are a mix of easy to find, discontinued, and hard to get because it's international.  Man, that's a mouthful!  So, let's get down to the nitty gritty!  Oh, and try to ignore the acetone ravaged cuticles... This was in the midst of a huge swatching spree, and I apparently didn't moisturize as well as I should have.  Ooops!

*I was not financially compensated for this post.  All items in this review were purchased by me for my own use.  The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.  For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy in the tab above.*

Kiko 255, China Glaze Grape Crush, and Zoya Aurora


All three polishes have a similar concept, purple base with holo glitters.  I'm talking dark purple.  Deep, luscious, delicious looking purple.  It reminds me of grape juice or grape jam.  Yummy.  Sorry!  Got of topic a bit!

Kiko 255




Kiko is an international brand that isn't easily accessible in the US.  However, if you have a friend in Europe that can pick some up for you or if you see them on blog sales, you need to snap them right up.  The formula for 255 was perfect. It applied easily, the glitters spread well, and it only needed two coats, which is a huge win in my book.  The purple is a little darker than the purple in Grape Crush and much darker than the purple in Aurora.  Lastly, it looked so much glossier than the other two even after top coat.


China Glaze Grape Crush



Grape Crush is a beautiful deep purple that leans a little red as compared to the others.  Unfortunately, Grape Crush has been discontinued for quite some time.  I found mine at a salon while I was out and about.  I tend to go into salons and purchase old polishes that are hard to find elsewhere, which is called dusty hunting or just dustying.  Anyway, application wasn't as nice as with the Kiko.  It was streakier and required three coats.  Also, the glitters weren't as in your face as 255 or Aurora.  It smelled pretty bad, too.  Womp womp!  It's still a pretty polish, but I vastly prefer Kiko 255 over Grape Crush.  If you're a collector, though, it's one you should have in your collection.


Aurora



Zoya Aurora is the outlier of the group.  It's a lighter purple that is jam packed with irregular shaped holo bits that provide a richness and depth that 255 and Grape Crush just don't have.  Application was easy, as with most Zoyas.  This is three coats.  Aurora came out at Christmas time last year, but you can still purchase it on Zoya's website and where Zoya's are sold.

Blurred to see the holo!

In the end, my favorite of the bunch was Kiko 255.  The application was far superior to both the China Glaze and the Zoya.  It was also well more opaque.  Lastly, I liked the effect of the glitters in 255 the best.

Which is your favorite?

*I was not financially compensated for this post.  All items in this review were purchased by me for my own use.*

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh purple holos :D Odd, I don't recall seeing aurora swatched before. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! I'll try to have my review of it up soon, then!

      Delete
  2. They all look great but my favourite is Kiko too because it's the only of the three that I have xD It's actually one of my favourites in my collection of nail polishes =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahah you love kiko, and people in europe ( maybe not everyone, but me) love indies which are difficult to find in europe or to expensive ! but i had some because you're a NPA or not.. lol
    I love aurora and the china glaze i didn't know it before :)

    ReplyDelete