Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Dusty Pinks

So, I've been off of work for the past week and have had all of these grand plans to do stuff around the house, with the blog, and with the polish-making.  But what have I done?  Played with polish.  I've only played with polish...  Yeah.  I have so much I need to do, but I just can't make myself do anything that isn't fun!  Surprise vacation has been fun, but it's time to get myself in gear.  Tonight's post is a couple of pretty, dainty, and dusty pinks: Illamasqua Pink Raindrops and Sonoma Tiny Tangerines.

All polishes were purchased by me.


Pink Raindrops

Color: Dusty dainty pink with silver flakies and pink shimmers.


Finish: Flakie - a polish (creme or jelly) filled with flakes of irregularly shaped glitters.  Some flakies are iridescent or color changing while others are one color but provide added depth.
Bottle / Brush: Rectangular with square top - bottle shape is average for a rectangular bottle.  The top is square, which is a massive pain in the butt when it decides it doesn't want to come off - like with my bottle of Pink Raindrops.  It is short and squat which can make maneuvering a bit difficult.  The wand and brush are both average with average application, but the shape of the top is irritating for me.  It’s probably my least favorite top when it decides to not come off.
Opacity: High – opaque at one to two coats! Here, I've done two coats for the photos.


Glitter Application: Easy – Spreads evenly without much manipulation.
Consistency: Thick – thick or it can be clumpy, but is easily remedied with some polish thinner.
Overall Ease of Application: Hard – applies with some pooling, dragging, streaking, or balding.  Spreads well with manipulation.  Requires quick work to get a smooth result.
Stampability: Not tested for stamping.
Dry Time: Long – dry to the touch with minimal smudging in over 8 minutes.


Overall Thoughts: I'm so so so annoyed with the top on this Illamasqua bottle. I mean, for real. If the square top would come off like it does for my other Illamasquas, or Diors and Chanels, it wouldn't be such a big deal. However, the fact that it doesn't makes it super hard for me to hold and control. I could probably get it off with a pair of pliers, but since I'm going to be adding it to my blog sale, I didn't want to run the risk of damaging the top. Oh well, c'est la vie, I suppose. The first time I tried out Pink Raindrops, it was a thick and clumpy mess. I couldn't get it to cover without pooling and dragging like a matte. The second time I wore it (for these photos), it was a little easier to work with since I knew what I was dealing with. It's one of those polishes where you need to work quickly to get it on the nail and yet wait for a decent amount of time between layers for the polish to dry. I purchased my Pink Raindrops from a blog sale, but you can purchase Illamasquas from Sephora or on their website.


Tiny Tangerines

Color: Pale pink creme with white, pink, aqua, and purple hexes and baby pink hearts.


Finish: Glitter Crème – glitter in a crème base.
Bottle / Brush: Round bottle (i.e. Seche Vite) – the brush and wand are the standard width and length.  Easy to control and manipulate.
Opacity: Medium – achieves opacity at three to four coats. Here, however, I've worn it as one coat over Pink Raindrops.
Glitter Application: Medium – requires the dab method, but spreads evenly.
Consistency: Fluid – thin but flows easily from the brush.


Overall Ease of Application: Medium – applies well with minimal pooling, dragging, streaking, or balding.  Spreads well without much manipulation.
Stampability: Not designed for stamping.
Dry Time: Medium – dry to the touch with minimal smudging in 3-8 minutes.


Overall Thoughts: Tiny Tangerines was the perfect match for Pink Raindrops. It was an average glitter that had easy removal. The glitters came out of the bottle easily and spread well with the dab method. Dry time was average. This is just one coat over undies, so you can see that the glitter to base ratio is in favor of the glitters. You can purchase Sonoma polishes at her store here. Follow her on Facebook and IG for news and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment